alskuefhaih
asoiefh

Saturday, November 01, 2008

art: a gallery of favorites


I'm posting this mostly for myself, to document some favorites of the art works I've collected in computer files. If you're interested, please click on the collage to see them better, and then you can come back and browse the virtual museum, below, by clicking on the titles of these beautiful works to see them bigger and learn more about them. Also, click on the artist's name to find out more about her or him, or the link following their names to see more of their work.


Top row:

1. Succulent Eggplants, Beatriz Milhazes. See more of her work here.
2. Parrot Vase with Tulips, Gwen Buchanan. See more of her paintings here.
3. The Burning of the House of Lords and Commons, Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1835. The link in his name also shows more of his work.
4. Clouds and Water, Arthur Dove, 1930. The link in his name is his home page, showing more of his work.
5. The Siesta, Vincent van Gogh, 1889-90. A seemingly exhaustive catalog of his paintings is here.

Middle Row:

6. St. Mary Magdalen, Gregor Erhart, 1510, and at my Paris blog
7. Prelude to a Kiss 1, Denis Fremond and at my Paris blog * Please click on "Denis Fremond," and then click "Huile" to see more of his phenomenal paintings.
8. Portrait de Jacqueline Roque aux mains croisées, Pablo Picasso, 1954. At my Paris blog. Here is a comprehensive catalog of Picasso's work.
9. Peace: Burial at Sea, Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1842. The link in his name shows more of his work.
10. Jeanne Hébuterne in a Yellow Sweater, Amedeo Modigliani, 1918-19. See a gallery of his work here.

Bottom Row:

11. Keelman Heaving in Coals by Moonlight, Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1835. The link in his name shows more of his work.
12. Jean Monet, Claude Monet, 1880. Here is a searchable gallery database of 300 Monet paintings.
13. Le Lit, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1892. Pages and pages of Toulouse-Lautrec's paintings can be found here.
14. Woman Bathing in a Stream, modelled by Hendrickje Stoffels, Rembrandt van rijn, 1654. This site gives Rembrandt's biography and a complete catalog of his paintings.
15. Norham Castle, Sunrise, Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1845. The link in his name shows more of his work.

21 comments:

cathyswatercolors said...

I love this post! The DIA has a show, Monet to Dali, going on for about another week. Sounds interesting.

Ruth said...

Hi, Cathy. Oh! I love the list of artists at that DIA show! Maybe I can convince the whole family to go during Christmas break. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Carl H. Sr. said...

Eclecticly overwhelming.Like trying to see, understand,and appreciate the history of the world in fifteen words or less.
Quite a treat to see so much beauty in such a condensed form. Now I will HAVE to make time to visit each artist. Thanks for sharing Ruth!

Gwen Buchanan said...

You!!! I am nowhere in the category of these magnificent artists.. I am blushing so, I won't need the heat on all day.. You are too sweet....

Ruth said...

Hi Carl! I know. But I found that if I took a little at a time, it wasn't too bad to read a site or two and wait for the rest. And maybe only one or two will catch your eye enough to find out more. It's awesome thought that you want to visit them.

Ruth said...

Gwen, you are so in the category of these artists, because you are one of my favorites. In my own personal museum gallery of select artists, you rank high. All of these works inspire me, and you as a person and artisan inspire me.

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how soulful this was for you to do, Ruth. BRAVO.

Ruth said...

Thanks, Boots. I said to Don during and after, that it reminded me of researching and planning the trip to Paris with you and Donica, which I also loved.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Ruth, I just spied the Tidbit.. "The Return of the Mother" by Andrew Harvey on your sidebar.. It is exactly perfect...

I never connected this positive aspect of ones' heart breaking before.. but this is so.. so true...

Don said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth said...

We underestimate our hearts, I think, Gwen.

VioletSky said...

What a lovely idea. I've bookmarked this page to find it easier for looking in on further. And to include Gwen, but of course!

I have been trying to work on some collages (I already had Picasa, and after a few frustrating muniutes trying to follow your directions realized I needed to upgrade!!) but am not haveing much success. Will keep at it though - you helped inspire me to get back into photography, so I'll not give up on this either!

Ruth said...

Sanna, oh I'm sorry you are having trouble with collages. Collages should be a joy, not a frustration. :) I haven't used anything but Picasa 3, so I don't know know the differences. I have noticed some bugs in Picasa though. For instance, sometimes the file or album includes photos that shouldn't be there. I then close Picasa and re-open, and that takes care of it. Don't give up!

sandy said...

This is great, I'll have fun following the links and such...

Ruth said...

Auntie Sandy, regardless of my personal interest in these art pieces, I think the web sites are incredible! I was astounded to find an exhaustive site for Picasso, including his writings.

Bob Johnson said...

Hey Ruth what a cool post, love the heaving coals by Moonlight, number 11.

VioletSky said...

Ruth, that is exactly what has been happening - I carefully choose my pics, but what comes up is only 2 or 3 of what I chose and a bunch of other pics repeated. Very strange, but am glad it's not just me!

(and I should get some sleep before I publish judging by my stupid typos in my previous comment!!)

Ruth said...

Bob, I'm glad I could give you a painting with a moon in it.

Ruth said...

Sanna, play around with Picasa, I have gotten frustrated a couple of times too. Like sometimes an album will have pics from another album!

Oh, I always leave typos in comments.

PeterParis said...

Three times Turner! I'm not surprised! Maybe missing a Vermeer and a Munch?

Ruth said...

I love both of them, Peter. This was not an intentional omission, I was just gathering some pieces I already had in my file.